View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
This thread has become comedy gold!

I have no idea how people are misinterpreting the statements Kurt505 has made.

He’s simply saying many people claim using a 338 win mag will drop game in their tracks if you don’t hit it where you intended so that’s the reason to buy and use one. He witnessed a hunter use a 338 win mag to shoot a deer in the guts and the deer didn’t drop as quick as many people would expect. Then a shot from a rifle with a smaller caliber bullet in a smaller capacity cartridge ended the deer right there. So his point is that placement of the bullet is key and gut shooting deer isn’t effective regardless of what a person thinks a magnum will do.
Good grief how is that difficult???
People are twisting this so much.

Had the initial shot hit where the final shot did, the story wouldn’t be used to explain that a 338 was ineffective when hitting a deer in the guts.
So the question is, what would the Buck have done had it been shot in the guts with the 280 or any other cartrage ?

So if the 338 is not the magic pill, neither is any other cartrage, pretty sure we get that.

So here's the conundrum:

Magnum cartrages in the "Correct" hands are lethal weapons at greater distances, would this be a true statement then.

It sounds like this Ron fellow, "No disrespect to him" since he is not here to tell his side of the story on why he failed to come to the hunt ill prepared.

This is not a true hunter as all folks should know better than go a-field with out extra ammo, "And" some extra gear that is required before grabbing the gun to step out of the truck. Total fail on Ron's part.

Since we all know that what ever catrage or caliber is capable of killing all kinds of critter, what happens when distance becomes a factor for a shooter with tact driving skills "if" this be the case.

Is this person with all his skills limited to a small bore catrage with limited energy down range, or would it be wize to choose something that will deliver high impact down there.

Most folks on this forum as well as many that aren't know what they prefer to see down range when it comes to hammer time.

The 100% perfect shot does not show up at all times, the critters show up at different angles, distances, poor light conditions, crappy weather, places where it's hard to get that shot.

Experience hunters know one thing, bring enough bullet, powder, and skills to gather thier game "if" it is do-ible.

Shot placement has been around for years, the question is, is there enough bullet at a good speed to get the job done.

All the camp fires across our Americas might be asking this question when the harvest gets underway.

Do I have the cartrage, caliber, skills along with all the extra tack to pull this kill off. If not, what kind of game plan can I/We come up with to better the odds.

Can we close the gap, would it be wize to bunker down there since I know that those bullets will be travelling very fast to that distance.

Everyone knows that a **** poor shot can come from a 22 rimfire on up to the 50 So-Cal with everything in between.

If the impact is 2", 4" or a fraction more off center shot, what cartrage / caliber of firearm would you choose.

223, or larger ?

I highly doubt there will be alot of camp fires burning with the small caliber firearm close by, but then again, I don't know since we only contend to the flames at the fire where we camp.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 08-08-2018 at 05:36 AM.