View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=MrSmith;381682]Since I've moved to east central alberta I've been trying to figure out a nonevasive way to access local crown land locales. Running my county map, SRD map, google earth, and microsoft streets and trips I've found certain sections that are clearly fenced areas and the county map states it is crown land, but the SRD map doesnt show or list any grazing, sanctuary, protected lands there. So my question is can I access it without contacting anyone since there isnt anyone to contact. Found another access road to some crown land surrounding a local lake but there is a large chain link gate blocking the road with a sign stating its a private property and that there is no tresspassing. So is someone just squatting and claimed this land as their own? Do i need to talk to the people who put the sign up to ass for permission to land they dont apparently own?
QUOTE]

it could be a natural area, these lands do not show up on the grazing map. also could be county land or an ecological reserve which is not huntable. you need to check the county map regarding the road. if it is shown as a right of way and has not been closed by the county, you should be able to use it to access the crown land. anyone can put a sign up, doesnt necessarily mean it is there legally and could be referring to the adjacent land, not the road.

case in point, a landowner developed a county right of way that was previously bush but provided accesss to a natural area and the river. the landowner was able to prevent vehicle access to the developed road allowance but is not allowed to prevent foot access along the road allowance. contray to the county he placed no tresspassing signs and a gate to try and prevent all access to the road allowance,the river and the natural area. in other similar cases land owners have been required to relocate their gate and signage to their immediate property line and not obstruct the lawful access to a county right of way. motive, landowner is a hunter and hunts the adjacent crown land.