View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Just a different take on things here........this is cut from the OP.
This whole episode takes a 90degree turn right there.

"Accepting responsibility, I thought well, I will have to pay several hundred dollars in fines, maybe a thousand for my mistakes. Doorknob. Oh well, must learn from it and move on.

Then I find out a few months later that the crown attorney has decided to add another charge to me (making it three) and is asking for $3,000 and 2 years of no hunting
"

It not uncommon for over zealous crown attorney's to go to the extreme with the expectation they will get what they want with a plea bargain. Sort of defeats the plea bargain concept and undermines the justice system. We see this all the time and has become the norm. Dump increased risk and financial costs (lawyers) onto the other side, to win. Example:Charge the guy with dangerous driving when they have no evidence of speeding so that the plea bargain gets them what they think was happening and a nice payment to the crown.

Maybe, I should explain this better.....BRINKMANSHIP........Ask for something so unreasonable that the other side is so willing to accept a compromise that you get all and more of what you wanted, or they have to fight and incur massive risk and financial damage. Not to get political..but you see this tactic in how POTUS dealt with North Korea and now with NAFTA. It is effective, but when it fails, it fails in dramatic fashion and with ugly consequences.
So first we have a over zealous CO and now an over zealous crown prosecutor? Starting to really feel bad for the OP who got caught breaking the law....not really