View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmj89 View Post
Various reasons. The first is, the rifle weighs a ton. It’s s savage 116 fcss with the accustock (aluminum rail inside the entire stock) and metal detachable magazine. Bare rifle weighs 8lbs. I just got back from a weekend mulie hunt, walking sun up to sun down; I really noticed the weight of the rifle. Which is the main reason I would like to sell the rifle and buy something new, lighter, and easy to carry.

The following reasons aren’t reasons I’m selling but reasons not to buy another 300 WM. Premium ammunition is $70+ a box. And although the recoil is manageable I’ve flinched on more than one occasion.

I wondered about weight as well. Light guns are good if you stay with manageable carriages like 7mm-08 and 6.5. Decent bullet weights in the 120 - 140 range that will still knock down good sized game. I'd try to stay with a long action if possible and away from some of the "fad" cartridges our there. 270 and 25-06 are decent options. The 06 you mentioned isnt a big step down in terms of recoil from the 300.