View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 09:50 AM

Default rifle.

First, I second the PROSTAFF 5 scope choice. Lots of useful features that you will need right out of the box and you won't find yourself wishing for more. Second, the rifle, As a lefty myself I was in a similar situation 35 years ago. I opted for a Ruger 77 30-06 and couldn't have been happier. Great price and it killed what I aimed at. That being said, It was a 2+MOA rifle and hunting the Oregon plains meant some long shots and sometimes more than 1! Don't get caught up on left and right handed rifles. Today I own 2 left handed rifles, a .300 Win ( a great cal. choice) by Hill Country Custom Rifles and my dream rifle, a Weatherby .257 WbyMag. A rifle maker I would suggest is Bergara, they make great rifles, very accurate and priced right. I have a number I shoot competitions with and they are all right-handed. Back in the day, I also found that if you can pick up a good piece of equipment here and there instead of all at once it doesn't hurt the pocketbook quite so much. One big reason I like the PROSTAFF 5 is Nikon's BDC reticle and dialing it into my shooting data. Check out Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program. It takes the guess work out of holdovers.