Thread: "Lazy Hunter"
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
This is a lesson I am learning. In the bush I see much more sitting on my butt than walking around. Just knowing the best place to sit. :-)

That’s because still hunting is an art and it takes years to master. There is much more to being good at it than just walking around. I would agree if you hunt in an area with a fairly healthy deer population then it isn’t too hard to pattern the deer in the area and there are places you could sit where there is a high probability that a deer will come by. Snow definitely helps here for pattering them. Likewise sitting in one spot may be the best opportunity to see deer if weather conditions make it too noisy to be moving about. Think frozen snow or a heavy frost on a clear day. But sitting in one spot is not always the answer. I hunt for deer south of Fort McMurray and what I see for animals in the average season would only make a decent day in other parts of the province. I’ve picked areas off the beaten path to set up trail cameras where I see no other people and the most action and even then there are days where I don’t get a deer on film. Sure there are deer in the area but these are bush deer and they tend to just wander and not stick to trails. In an area like this I see a lot more deer by still hunting it than partners of mine see when they stay in the same spot all day.

I think what Jungleboy was getting at when he started this thread and what others have alluded to is that actual hunting takes many forms and no one way is any better than the next because it is all hunting. Pick a way that works for you and that you enjoy. As long all rules and regulations are being followed don’t worry what the next hunter thinks just because it’s not the way he wants to go.