View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Gone Hunting

In some circles the newer offering may seem to be more popular then they really are.

I know that most of the hunters I know still shoot the older cartridges and that is supported by what I see on store shelves in the district.

It's one of the problems with the newer offerings. If one lives in or close to one of the bigger centers, like Grand Prairie or Red Deer, I'm sure one has little trouble finding ammo for these new cartridges but try finding a box of 300 SSM or a box of 17 HMR in Hay River or Lac LA Biche and I'm sure you'll find an entirely different situation.

I once read that the .303 and 30-30 account for more game then all other cartridges combined. I can believe that.

I wouldn't doubt it is true even in 2018. I know a lot of farmers and trappers who use older rifles chambered for the older cartridges.

They just don't write about it. Not on the internet or in hunting magazines.

Speaking of the internet. I find that these days many don't seem to realize that there are still people who don't have a cell phone or internet access.

People seem shocked when I tell them I don't do text messaging. They can't seem to grasp that there is no cell coverage where I live.
And no sporting good store.

I buy most of my ammo at the local lumber yard. I can't buy ammo or many of the components for reloading off the internet because we have only one courier service that operates here and they will not deliver to a rural address or to a drop off point.

So even if I wanted to buy one of the newer offerings it would be a poor choice because of ammo and components availability around here.

That may be my situation but I am not even close to being the only one in this situation. There are little centers all over the north with the same issues or worse.

That is where you'll find the older rifles and cartridges and a lot of very experienced outdoorsmen and women who seldom write anything anywhere.

George Bernard Shaw