View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Watson View Post
Richard -- how does the ABA in ANY way "discriminate against a particular discipline of hunters"? Myself and the ABA do not want any primitive weapon (which a crossbow is) in the archery seasons because of all the reasons I gave earlier. Crossbows can be used in any general season and primitive season now. Should be simple to understand. We are trying to protect a passion, a certain way of hunting that is in danger of being lost/watered down by suggesting that crossbows are archery and should be included in archery seasons.
Myself, other members and the ABA in general have worked HARD for many years with other user groups to help protect hunting rights in general. We meet with government people at all levels and 90% of the things on the agenda are general hunting issues. We supported AFGA and it's current president in their/his efforts in getting the all important act passed that makes hunting, fishing and trapping a RIGHT for all Albertans and wrote letters showing that support to government. We are an active member of the Alberta Outdoor Coalition whose mandate is to lobby for ALL users of the outdoors. We actively participate in the Hunting For Tomorrow Stakeholder meetings where changes are suggested to hunting regulations -- again most of a general nature. I sit on the new SRD Wildlife Managment Advisory Group representing the ABA - we are working with senior government to try and open the lines of effective communication with government and all the users to fast track change. We promote the youth thru our awards program, our many 3D archery shoots, seminars and workshops. We are excited that AHEIA has become the agent for the National Archery in The Schools Program and we will do as much as we can to promote this venture. Yet, it seems like all we hear from certain people is that we are "bad", "silly", "selfish" - comments you hear that have no real counter argument or facts to back up a position. Every argument I/we have heard that people have used to suggest crossbows should be allowed, we have been able to counter with FACTS and real information.
It may be easy for those who do not bowhunt, who haven't experienced the "flight of the arrow", the up close and personal experiences with game, with the immense challenges bowhunting offers but equally great rewards when things do go right, etc etc BUT believe me it is worth defending.
Part of all this is to try and educate people to the FACTS and to the ramifications of any introduction of any primitive weapon in archery seasons. I know we have some work ahead of us but we have made great strides thus far, not only here at home in Alberta but on the national scale in the FCA where archers from across the country are standing up for what is right in defining archery - much to the shagrin of people like George.
I didn't know you couldn't use a bow anymore and that is really too bad as I couldn't imagine not being able to use my trusty recurve anymore. I have already prepared the wife for life with a grumpy old man (LOL) if I can't take to the bush with "Jack" my custom recurve anymore. There have been huge advances with innovative devices for all kinds of injuries that still allow people to use archery tackle so let me know and I can get you contact info to see if some of them would work for you. If all else fails, you can still use a crossbow in the general or primitive seasons and there is no shortage of hunting opportunity there. I have used my recurve exclusively for the last five years and have found no lack of critters to chase out of the archery seasons or without a draw. Give me a call sometime and I can see what I can do in getting you back on the horse -- pretty hard to catch me now till December and then it is trapping season, but we can see what happens.
Quote:
how does the ABA in ANY way "discriminate against a particular discipline of hunters"?
You don't expect or need me to answer that as you already know the answer so I'm not going to bother wasting my time and yours.
I remember the crying, whining and doom sayers wailing in the streets when compound bows came along and the fight it required to get them included in archery season because enlightened people didn't believe that they were archery tackle. Can you imagine such narrow minded people? The world didn't end then nor in any other province or state where the crossbow is allowed in archery and it won;t here. Get ready.