Thread: Bathroom fan
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 PM

Default Bathroom fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Your house will have an insulated fresh air duct that is piped into your return air, so what you are asking for already exists. This fresh air duct may enter through a heat recovery ventilator or it might be piped directly. Look for a damper on this duct as it might be throttled shut and you might find better air exchange by opening it (they are not a perfect fit so will never shut entirely, picture a 5.25" disc 'closing' in a 6" duct)

Correct. There is a fresh air duct going through the HRV to the return air, and I just checked - the damper is open all the way. I am now thinking I may be starving the HRV intake in the bathroom. I noticed there is very little space under the door because of a transition strip right under it. I also looked in to the HRV duct and it seems a little dirty with years of dust etc sucked in there. Also did a full reno last year and I am sure there is some drywall dust in there as well possibly restricting the air flow. I will drop the central vac hose down and see if I can clean it out a bit

Thanks again for all the input

For interest sake, why would they have the HRV return air/ air intake in a “box” like in the picture. Why not use a 5 inch round duct?

Last edited by Immigrant; 01-17-2019 at 11:43 PM.