View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
The Edmonton Oilers were NOT a better hockey team after any or all of those guys left town,
The point I was making was the Oilers won a cup after he was traded. You made it sound like they went in the dumpster when he left. Of course they weren't better, as I'd said those weren't hockey trades, they were financial moves. You're beating an apples and oranges dead horse here when you continue to make that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
There's going to be several teams in the same boat in short order, so I guess we're going to find out pretty quick what the new NHL looks like, but 9-10 MM/per is going to become pretty common is my guess.
That 9-10MM/year is common or not is irrelevant. It's really a percentage of cap total and value/return on your investment when you sign a player.

If you can afford to be a cap team, 9MM on a 100MM cap is different than 8.5MM on a 70MM cap.

Draisaitl fails both tests. His $8.5MM/yr as a percentage of the cap when he signed is out of proportion to what he's delivered as a player. Then there's also the question of what is his return on investment on $8.5MM/yr (for 8 years) regardless of what the cap is?