View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
My father is and has been a bus driver for close to 30 years.
Problem#1
Is the bus driver responsible for adjusting and properly buckling each child?
Problem#2
Booster seats, well most small kids need them to be buckled in your car right?
DOes the school supply them? or do the parents have to buy extra ones?
Problem#3
School bus driver going to be held liable for a child unbuckling one? Or not adjusting one properly?
Problem#4
Do we have to hire a attendant to ride the bus with the kids and properly buckle each of them? Cost???
Problem#5
Is it a problem? Is there so many accidents a year for the amount of miles driven that this is a issue? Or are we creating a fix for a problem not even here?
Is there proof that in each case a seat belt would have had a impact in reducing the injury or death? Hard to come to a answer for this.
Problem#6
Current school busses and there seats we not currently designed for belts, so do we just replace every school bus on the road?
You can't just drill holes in the walls and floor of busses and bolt in seat belts, the structure of the bus needs to be designed for it(and they are not)
The buses I took in Ft Mac the driver would walk up and down for a seat belt check, and that was with only adults on board company charters.

The seats in cars & trucks have weight sensors that alert a notice on the dash if the corresponding belt is not buckled, this would be pretty easy to wire a map with a seat display of the entire bus up to. Holler at the offending kid(s) to buckle up and then hit the gas once they've complied.

Having the belts adjusted by the kids should be fine, at least the belts are there. This is assuming regular kids, special needs of course would require driver help or an attendant or whatever.

Wearing a seat belt is the law, of all the options available I'm astounded its bypassed for school buses.

Do bus companies &/or drivers figure liability for adjusting kids seat belts would open up too much liability so they'd rather the kids not be bucked at all? Ridiculous.

Engineering seats and seat belts is not an insurmountable task, remember that the motor coach buses already have them, this is neither rocket science nor akin to curing cancer..... literally millions of them already exist.

All I saw was a pile of simplistic questions with brutally easy solutions. Can that be all that's holding up the safety of kids on public transport? Its mind-boggling. Of course there would be transition time for replacing and/or retrofitting the existing bus fleets but the time to start was yesterday...

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-29-2019 at 03:43 PM.