View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 09:10 AM

Putting a level on the turret cap is not always a guarantee of aligning the optic to the receiver as even some of the best scopes on the market are not necessarily aligned perfectly. I never rely on the turret cap as I have encountered slight variations in reticle alignment within optics such as Leupold VX2, VX3, Mark 4, Nightforce, Swarovski, and Leica.

Like most guys, I level the receiver using either a bubble on the rail or other optics base, or one that mounts directly to the feed rails. If I have any doubts about a reticle being perfectly aligned to the scope body, I draw a vertical line on the fence or shed, or if there is no wind I will hang a plumb line. Whichever one I use will be at least 50 meters away (just my choice, 25 metres would be adequate). I increase the magnification on the scope and align the vertical portion of my reticle with the line or string.

A buddy of mine from competition days uses a similar practice. He projects a laser level on his shop wall and aligns the horizontal portion of his reticle.