View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I agree somewhat on the Lucic deal, but if he had continued his numbers at the time of signing and provided a much needed physical presence, then the contract is ok. Lucic's contract sucks because he has sucked for the last 2 years. I compare him to Tom Wilson getting 5.2 million contract this summer.... only difference is Wilson is not sucking right now.

The Oilers could have signed Draisaitl to 3-4 year term at 6 to 6.5 million like Gaudreau. But the major down side to that is you risk losing him to free agency earlier and if he stays and his numbers are good he will demand 10-10.5 for the next 4 years. So really over the 8 year span it is exactly the same money with less risk of losing him. Now the only risk to the Oilers is that Leon tanks, but they are betting against that.

If Gaudreau signs another 4 year deal which I believe will be next year, I bet it will be in the 9.5-10 million range and the Flames will end up spending the same money for Gaudreau over 8 years as the Oilers are spending on Draisaitl for 8 years.
Good points