View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 07:15 AM

Here's a question for you guys... as some of you seem way more knowledgeable than me....

I have a Air exchanger drawing fresh air from outside, but also have a combustion air intake drawing air in from outside. Basement has always been cold (previous owner developed basement himself, cheaped out on wall insulation and subfloor) but with this more recent cold snap i noticed a draft in the basement coming from furnace room.... My 5in combustion Air vent is just dumping cold air into the basement even when the furnace is not running. Freezing the side of my water tank which i noticed we struggled a bit more with hot water the last two weeks which is what started me wondering what is going on with everything.

So my questions....

1. Do i really need the Combustion air intake if i already have a air exchanger drawing fresh outside air? (would love to seal it if i dont)
2. where would the exchanger draw air from inside the house?
3. The draw from combustion intale while the furnace is not running also makes me think potential negative pressure in the basement? but really wouldn't i only see the negative pressure while the furnace runs and shortly after?

Also, after reading this thread yesterday, i Decided to put my fan to on for a couple days to see what happens, flipped it back to auto before bed because all it did was create a cold draft on main level of the house, even with the thermostat already bumped up a degree.