Thread: ...........
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Time Rut Outdoors View Post
Actually rules for marine transport diesel are changing, getting more strict with less sulfur content required. These new rules come into effect around 2020 I think. One of the big ideas behind the refinery was to make diesel to this standard in anticipation of this. Obviously other refineries will have to change to meet these standards. Carbon capture also cost a lot to implement. And most of the fabrication happened in China, not India. Not that it makes much of a difference.
I listened to the Ian Macgregor interview about the economics of the refinery and he mentioned the marine fuel change over in 2020. His opinion is that refinery space is going to get pretty tight due to the increased demand for low sulfur diesel. I bet when that occurs every barrel they can produce will be in gobbled up for shipping.
The best part of the whole scenario is that all the work (mining, refining, shipping) will be done by Albertans in Alberta and as such not effected by outside influences. Those jobs will always be there as opposed to shipping oil south to make jobs in Louisiana. The moment they can get cheaper Venezuelan crude, the Alberta product will be displaced or de-valued.