View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
When I take the odd trip to the local lakes or watch "fly fishers" drifting by, they most all have a common theme. They fish indicators or streamers. If you choose to spend the day watching a bobber than most any rod, including a spinning rod will work fine. If you like to throw streamers, big and heavy with a flex somewhere in the middle will fish as well as anything out there. This also holds true for the beloved "hopper dropper" that requires big loop and a laid back approach.

If one ever wants to fly fish with something like say a fly, then the game changes. Tight loops in changing conditions are a must. Presentations can go from "nothing to it" to the other side of the river with a strong cross wind at any time and fly sizes can go from tiny to terrestrial in an hour.

And no, you will not catch as many fish with a full flexing, somewhere in the middle rod that hasn't been splined properly and has more side to side wiggle than a Kardashian on a cat walk. Accuracy is every bit as important in fly fishing as it is to the discriminating big game hunter. Accuracy in fly fishing is dependent on fast action and quick recovery tips that deliver tight loops consistently straight down the line. A decent fly line for these applications is at or near $100 these days, expecting a complete outfit for $189 is really setting yourself up for disappointment.

Having said all that, fish with what you can afford and enjoy the day. You don't have to break 100 to enjoy a round of golf and a good day fishing certainly isn't determined by the number of fish caught or the performance of your equipment.
Good comments except the red highlighted oxymoron.