View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 11:40 AM

I'm up here in Yellowknife and everyone kept telling me about a spot I have to get out to for whitefish by some rapids on the Yellowknife river. I have never caught (or even targeted) whitefish in open water before, only ice fishing. My kids have never caught whitefish at all. I've been taking them there the last few weekends now.

The spot everyone referred me to is absolutely amazing and looks like something out of a National Geographic's magazine. The first time out we hooked into a few fish but only managed to land one. Both my 13 year old daughter and 14 year old son did have some on the line though and had now caught the fever. It took a little while to teach them the finesse of landing these soft mouthed fish as they were more used to just hauling in pike. We went again last weekend and both my daughter and son each landed some of their own with us taking home a total of 11. We cooked some up fresh and everyone enjoyed the rewards of their efforts.

My son was tied up this weekend but my daughter insisted we go again. Caught these (plus one more that we hooked right when leaving) yesterday with my daughter getting half of them herself. Even more than the great fishing, I'm excited about how much this experience has caused my kids to want to go out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whitefish_oct_2019.jpg (68.7 KB, 99 views)