View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 04:31 PM

If I were you I would get one gun and shoot everything with it. I've never killed something too dead. There is also something to be said for consistently using the same weapon.

The Tikka T3s are a nice choice. I personally like the T3x Strata. It is packed full of features and doesn't blow out the budget. At the very minimum get a t3 that is S/S and synthetic.

You can also check out the Montana Rifle Co X3. It is a semi custom rifle that runs around 1900. Prophet River is the Canadian importer. Mine shoots tight, points and handles well.

For caliber I would suggest a 300 WM or 300 WSM. Shoot a premium bonded bullet for animals bigger than deer. Last thing you want is a cup and core bullet failing to penetrate the shoulder blade of an elk.

For scope I can't recommend the Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44mm enough. It is lightweight, crystal clear, has a locking elevation turret, and transmits lots of light in low light situations.

I would stay away from vortex. They are junk. You have a high probability of using their awesome warranty.

If you take my advice you will have one premium setup that won't let you down. If you go the two gun route you will have two so-so setups and one that likely has no scope due to warranty work.