View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Make it a strictly user based system... you pay to play regardless of age, 5yrs an up... subsidize the youth and the seniors, but you pay to play. People enter their youngins into the draws to get more tags. I have kids and did it too, I have no issues with paying as long as it goes directly into the resource.

LC
The problem is fishing generates a lot of $ through licensing, and thus politicians can't seem to keep their hands off of it.

There are examples of what you suggest working though. In Wisconsin, there is a trout stamp. It has been written into legislation that all money from this stamp goes directly into habitat funding. It might also have some funds allocated to harvest regulations--I cannot remember for sure.

Point being, this was super tricky to implement and good luck getting the current administration to part with your license money in the current economic downturn. This is a thing politicians need to do, not biologists. Doesn't mean its impossible, just means its harder to get up and running.

I hope it happens for the fisheries, but I'm also a realist and don't see this happening any time soon.