View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
I see there’s a lot more to this then meets the eye, what we’re doing is shooting clays in a field, I know that onoway gun range has a launcher also, but has me wondering what the application is, I was told it’s a skeet launcher but as has been stated people often times use is in the wrong context!
Sherwood Park also has a couple of manual launchers for people to bring their own targets to throw . They are good for teaching a beginner the very basics, but you have to throw from one position only, so all of the targets being identical, would soon get boring. If the goal is becoming a better shot on birds in the field, sporting clays produces targets that match pretty much any situation that you might encounter in the field. However, sporting clays is much more expensive than skeet, so skeet is a more affordable alternative. Trap also helps, but with all targets rising away from the shooter, it really doesn't help with oncoming birds, pass shooting at overhead birds, or shooting at birds dropping into decoys. But when it comes right down to it, any wingshooting is better than none. And as far as shotguns go, you can shoot all of the clays games with your hunting shotgun, as long as it handles suitable target loads. I always shoot a few rounds of skeet with all of my hunting guns, before the season opens.