View Single Post
Old 05-17-2020, 09:24 AM

Like anything else, experience weeds out the nonsense. When I reload, I reference many manuals if needed and always develop loads with a chronograph. I have never blown a primer or stuck a case in a chamber (I have blanked primers, but that is a different matter entirely). I have even developed loads for wildcats that have no data or SAAMI spec quite successfully.

Most manuals are pretty spot on. Especially with custom barrels and chambers. That said, I’m constantly amazed at the amount of people that freak out about deviation from manual loads. For example, if I’m shooting a 270 and the manual says I will get 3050 FPS with x bullet and x powder in x length of barrel with x brass and x primer and I’m seen 2900 with that combination I’m adding powder. It is also very common to see an old proven load increase or decrease in velocity when you buy a new lot of powder. Well guess what? You are not using the same lot of powder as the lab either.

If you develop loads without a chronograph you are reading tea leaves anyway. I can’t imagine doing that and finding success that is quantifiable.

-Billy Molls