View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Banned

I've weighed those rails before, safe bet that one is 3 oz (assuming aluminum of course). EGW has a bunch on website with listed specs, 60 & 70 series aluminums vary a bit in weight from each other plus full picatinny or the ones with the center channel groove run down the middle maybe half oz lighter.

A set of talley rings will be 2.5 oz, all mine are.

A really lightweight set of weaver lows is 2.5 oz, plus the rail of course, but most will end up using a much heavier set of rings on top of that rail. Doesn't take much to get to a half pound in rings(if rings steel) and rail.

This is an easy place to add unnecessary weight!

If you don't need a 20-40 moa advantage then get the Talley's imo. If your scope can dial to the distances you want to hunt...Talley's.

Then the scope itself is another place where it's easy to add tons of unnecessary weight! If you need 4-14 with parallax adjust and lots of moa come up then Leupold makes a 15.6 oz (1 lb) beauty that's about as much scope as you can get for the oz. vx3i 4.5-14x40 (30mm side focus) cds, or add whatever turret you prefer, my fav now is the new cds-zl, they may offer it already.

The new vx5-6's are tanks! I sold a 2.5-10x42 cds-zl2 rare non-firedot (no battery or turret for it) and it was easily 3 oz over listed weight. It was listed at 16.9 oz, now add your fire dot on top of that. This was very unlike any leupold experience i had on the scale before. Also they are physically huge, long, ginormous eye box, but they are very nice to look through, no complaints with the image, constant eye relief etc. But they are pigs compared to vx3's. Better suited to the precision rifle type builds imo but not the lightweight theme suitability.