View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Admittedly I come from a camera lens background...but Sony claims (as of last year) that they are making strides in optical production now. https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/techno...ories/GMaster/
It, not just he lenses we are talking about here, but the prisms as well...and modern CNC technology has improved the tolerances they are able to manufacture these. As I've stated, it may definitely not be such that you even see a difference, let alone want to upgrade. But to say that the new Swaro NL will not be as good as the ten year old Leica's (and I have used Leica cameras and lenses since the 70's) is just downright false.

I'd agree with that last statement for sure. The article you linked touched on something as well. The glass can be the same, and it's not like the design hasn't been thought of before, but better coatings and more precision in manufacturing can allow the engineers to push a design further than they could have previously. Which can lead to performance improvements even if the glass blank is 20 year old tech.