View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Dog feces in bucket. Add 3 parts hot water for each part feces. Put lid on bucket. Shake really well. Drive to your buddy's house. 1/3 on his front seat, 1/3 on his wife's front seat for marrying such a lowlife, and 1/3 splattered across the front door, being sure to cover the door handle. Leave.
Good heavens! Remind me never to get on your bad side, SNS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Wow, though crowd...lol.

I’ve had people take me into their “honey holes” before and I’d never think to go back in there by myself or even mention the spot to someone else. Wouldn’t even consider asking. That’s kind of an unwritten rule and it’s a respect thing.

But, I’ve taken people into good areas before or told people about good areas and I really couldn’t care less if they go back in there. Maybe when I was younger it would have bothered me but not for a long time now.

No place I go to is void of other people. If I’ve found it so has someone else. Heck if I’ve found it and it turns out to be a nice spot then someone else probably already considers it their “honey hole”.

I spend a lot of time out in the bush and usually only hunt the same spots a couple times a year. I think I bore easily. Finding new spots to me is half the fun. Or new ways of getting into spots. Then I spend a ton of time, months sometimes, thinking about how to hunt the area. Then it’s a trip in to check things out. If I’m not successful but the area has promise then I keep at it And will go back but if I get what I’m after then it’s on to the next spot. To me that’s half the fun and I quite often pass that info on to other people because finding the area and then planning how to hunt it is the fun part for me.

But, if I did find that magical spot that for some reason was overlooked by others and really meant something to me I’d keep it to myself and not tell a soul.
I'm very much the same. That isn't to say that I haven't had the pleasure of being taken to new areas by my friends (and I uphold the sanctity of those areas) but I do love finding new spots. It gives me the opportunity to "give back" to those who have helped me. And honestly, spending time with those people is just as valuable to me as the hunting itself - and that tells you that these are people I care about and trust.

As for "gimme" spots or honey holes, that's not necessarily the places where you would take a first-time hunter anyhow. They need to know what it takes to locate those spots and, especially if remote, retrieve their game from there. Did that with my sons last weekend - They now have first-hand knowledge of what "after the shot" means. Plus they are learning what to look for so that they can find those places on their own. I think that is more valuable in mentoring than taking them to a honey hole in the first place.

And like Positrac says, some of our secret areas aren't necessarily so secret. A while back I got a text from a fellow forum member that he was stuck - when he told me where, I told him that I knew the exact hole where to find him. And here he thought that that was his "secret" trail - it turns out that we both used it regularly, although we rarely see others there.

I have to add, it is getting easier now that I can spend a bit more time in the woods. My new job is less taxing on my weekends and evenings, and the kids are bigger, and it gives me an opportunity to get them out of Incredigirl's hair, so I do have more time now to explore. So that means I don't put so much pressure on key areas, or need to rely on others to show me those areas.