View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Hey Thumper, I too am a big proponent of the Safari sling and have used one for as long as I can remember. It’s the only way to go in my mind when putting a ton of miles on out of the truck and I’ve converted a lot of friends over to using one. The warning about muzzle direction is a valid one because your rifle sits horizontal and as you spin around so does the direction the barrel is pointed.

I’ll give some advice that has worked well for me over the years but is nothing that most guys don’t already know; know which way the wind is blowing and keep it in your face. Sounds simple but most guys I’ve hunted with couldn’t tell you which way the wind is as blowing unless it was gale force. For 30 years I’ve taped a foot long piece of thread to the end of my barrel. With a safari sling the barrel is always where you can see it and at a glance you can tell what way the wind is blowing. As you mentioned, moving your rifle up to a shooting position is one fluid motion.

The only down-side to a Safari sling is that they are getting harder to find these days...

I use a thread too, it’s short but enough to remind me that just because I have a gun doesn’t mean the wind isn’t a factor.