View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 09:13 PM

Got to thinking, for those who are considering or just getting into making your own W/W’s what would be the best "Fishin Tip" to help others improve their success?

This .... It would be to choose the best hook with the right length/shank with a good gap and the eye pointing up as per the pic below. As mentioned in my previous posts I use Nymph style hooks to make my W/W’s & found the - Daiichi 1530 in size #8 & #10 to be premium quality hooks. I also found some Mustard Brand S82-3906B size #8 are good, too. See above post 334 or Page 10 post 296 for a reference pic.

The reason for choosing the right hook is your goal is to get your finished W/W to sit perfectly Horizontal! You wouldn’t use a standard hook from a Pickerel Rig, it’s too long to start with and when you add wire/beads/bling, it would never sit Horizontal, which is a must if you plan to target Whites.

Another mistake, and I made my share, is to wrap too much wire around the hook. If your using 4 or 6 or 8 lb floro it’s almost impossible to get your W/W to sit Horizontal if it’s overloaded with wire/weight at the hook shank. I’ve taken apart a number of my earlier creations just to salvage the hooks, Daiichi’s aren’t cheap and no one sells them here in Central Ab.

To summarize, start with a good Nymph style hook that’s the right length/shank and the gap is just as important don’t overdo the wire wraps & your W/W’s will sit perfectly Horizontal, which is the key to success for targeting Mr. White.

Trust this has been helpful.

Cheers

D.

For Reference.

A Good Knot will make all the Difference!

When you Tie them to your Rod make sure the Hook is Up for better Upper Lip Hook Set!

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 11-29-2020 at 09:18 PM.