View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 01:48 PM
Banned

Arrow

Had to give up the compound bow decades ago due to multiple shoulder injuries - last one was rolling a F&W truck north of the Crowsnest Pass which shattered both the collar bone and shoulder blade. Never been the same and never will be sadly.

I've come back to the pointy stick game due to pressure from a very good buddy, and luck finding a hot deal on my first Excalibur. No turning back. I had forgotten just how much I missed that, and the crossbow was a Godsend!

Main differences I have found:

My current bow is generally faster than most compounds.
It is accurate further than most are willing to try with a compound (which does NOT translate into farther risky shots on game).
It is already "drawn" and ready to launch from the moment I cock it. That means less movement for the initial shot.
It is damn near bulletproof and as noted above, doesn't need a trip to the bow shop to set timing or any other adjustment. In fact, I can and do make whatever adjustments are required (few) within minutes, right in the field.

Downsides:

The crossbows are a lot bulkier and damn near clumsy to move around with, especially so in brush.
They take a hell of a long time to reload, second shots are basically impossible.
They are a little heavier than compounds.

Sounds to me like you may qualify for the Permit in Alberta. I recently had mine moved to Permanent status (guess they finally figured out I ain't likely to grow a new wing?). Take your shot at it. If successful and you want any further advise that I might be able to provide, by all means, feel free.

Cheers,
Nog