View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
Ah. But the current policies are also the ones any mine starting tomorrow would face. You may not like the source, BUT if JK wanted to defend these accusations it would be really easy. Let us see the data, tell us how much testing is being done, and how much was supposed to be done. The issue is the fixed costs for monitoring have been drastically cut (look at the budgets for those departments - very hard for people not actively in those department to determine where the cuts have been made and no, I don't know how much testing has been cut). If you cut fixed costs, you cut what those fixed costs monitor. If the government cannot prove they are dealing with the issues, they should not be allowed to potentially create new issues. Selenium is a big deal. Until they can prove they are taking the environmental concerns seriously, no way from me. And the Alberta government has a poor track record in my opinion, as shown by the number of orphan wells that we the taxpayer are likely to be on the hook for. So no, I don't trust them with the environment.

To be honest I have no idea who would be responsible for orphans wells but the federal government just throw 1.7 billion at it so they are taking some responsibility for it.
As far as BC goes last time I checked the Elk valley has world class fishing and elk/deer hunting... must be the water.
We also need to keep in mind that the teck elk valley coal was started back when policy’s were lacking. They are no where near what they used to be because of good policy.