View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
The key to catching big fish of any species is to hunt big fish. I know this sounds stupid but it is the truth. You can randomly catch big fish just "fishing" but if you target big fish you need to switch tactics.

1) Use large bait, lures
2) Fish were you usually don't catch alot of fish. Large fish will chase away smaller fish from where they want to feed. Also large fish may not be feeding on what the smaller ones do
3) If you are not catching what you are looking for or catching smaller ones change spot, technique, depth, or lure.

If you are willing to catch less fish in total almost all water bodies will have some fish that are very good at what they do and are larger and older than the rest.
This is excellent advice for all species, I’ll add one other thing… Be different, a lot of guys target fish the same way year after year, here on the lake my cabin is on in central BC guys troll for trout using the same 3 lures in the same speed range. When I moved here in the spring I started experimenting and changing things up and now I find I catch more and larger fish consistently than the guys who have been fishing here for years because I was willing to try new things outside the norm.