Thread: Trail Cam Check
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I have had mature bucks leave or change routes do to too much traffic or altering their area. I have had increased traffic from ATVs or hunters alter a bucks routine many times. They don’t move far but it can be enough where a planned ambush point is now useless or into bush too thick to hunt. This can be for a short period or till the end of the season

If you are hunting deer in open areas this can be less of a issue but if you are hunting tight bush that a buck choosing a trail 20-50yards away can mean you don’t see him at all.

In my opinion it’s less about scent and more about them noticing changes to their area or noticing you/people in general. When you travel the same trail over and over you alter it more then hooved animals. Also just because you didn’t see them or they did not bust running doesn’t mean they didn’t watch you without you knowing. A lot of deer will freeze and hide in hopes the threat passes

I am not crazy about scent I **** out of my stand, and took many animals smoking cigars before I gave up the habit but they do notice heavy traffic
You findings are about the same as mine. I have had deer stick there nose in my business while I watched from my camp,that's a lot more human scent than pee.
Change in human traffic seems to be the main cause of deer becoming illusive. On one particular lease I hunt that's wide open permission, its rare to see a buck after the first few days of rifle season. Go there in January and there back.