View Single Post
Old 01-06-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I wouldn't.
It's not like it "flash froze" and died instantly, or was killed in a trap, and then froze.
I don't know how it's body works, and what happens to it if it dies from the cold.
Maybe the cold made their liver stop working, and all those poisons built up over the last week of it's life, and that's what killed it?
Coyotes gotta eat too.
If you have livestock, you're going to have dead stock.
(Insert next cliche here)
That's definitely a perspective worth considering. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that its a a slowing heart and the cessation of circulation that ceases function of the nervous/respiratory systems and organs - I don't believe there would be a great accumulation of toxins by the time of death provided of course that it wasn't a drawn out starvation due to the cold.... but I'll pull out the books and do some further reading about the process with hypothermia. That was something that hadn't crossed my mind.

But barring that, hypothetically, if a deer wasnt field gutted in 6-8 hours after a kill in minus 35, would you still consume it? Provided that there was nothing that smelled or appeared "off"....