View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooeasy View Post
Hi all,

I’m looking at bow hunting 304 and curious if anyone has some points that might be a good place to start scouting? Thanks in advance

check out the trail map for quads access https://www.alberta.ca/porcupine-hills.aspx

I know a fellow for Calgary Fish And Game worked really hard to get some trails open for gamer recovery last year. its not listed on that map but you should find out what trails give that access. The porcupine is a really busy zone I would also recommend the land owners map on Hunter so you can see what is lease what is private and what is crown. when they closed a bunch of the 400 zones for elk general in the 400's close to Calgary a lot of the displaced hunters shifted to that zone305 and 308 so the road hunting there on the limited roads is super heavy with convoys of 6-8 pickups not uncommon. guys setting up their trailers and leaving them out there all season in the camping spots is also not uncommon. the whitetail population is low and the mule deer population is high. guys get elk out of there with some success if they get private land access, I am not one of those guys almost always seeing more hunters in the bush than elk or whitetails and have given up on that zone during rifle season. coming in from the north is usually packed same with walking down the pipeline on the west side. best advise is just get out there and grind it out. with all the guys the game can get pushed around a lot leaving opportunity's for longer shots if your set up and ready. if you do see some elk from the road expect a foot race to close the gap I have seen multiple groups using the "who's team is the fittest foot race" technique especially on east sharpies at first light. good luck dont forget to stop at the mobile Tim Hortans on the rifle opener best advise I can give would be to use a quad to get away from the roads and then walk walk walk to get away from the quad squad running the few trails that are open. there is also a lot of pressure from the treaty guys looking for moose exercising their treaty rights.

Last edited by Dubious; 01-25-2022 at 08:52 PM.