View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
What I am posting has nothing to do with the thread posted only a correction to a statement posted above....so please do not take this as a personal attack as it is not being directed in that way.....

I just had this conversation with a CO while fishing before Xmas when he checked me and I had a limit of stocked trout and I was still fishing. He said the same thing as you have stated that my lines are to be removed and fishing ceased as I have a limit in my possession. He also did not want to accept that my electronic license(phone app) is valid proof of a license. He stated I am supposed to carry a paper version. He said he wasn't going to charge me but next time he would. Next day after re-reading the regs and not finding anything to support his statements I made a phone call to the Provincial Supervisor of CO's for clarification of the regulations the way the CO explained them and the supervisor said his CO was wrong and should not be misinforming anglers of the regulations. He said you may continue to fish catch and release but you may not retain any more of the species for which you have retained a limit, you may not cull fish from the limit you originally retained and replace them with fish you have caught since, you must immediately release any and all fish caught immediately and that you could be charged with wasting fish if any of the fish you release are not in a condition where they will survive after release. He said the regulations only specify how many fish you may retain, not how many you may catch and you in no way have to discontinue fishing upon retaining a limit of any species.
As for the license the electronic version on our phones is 100% acceptable and he said it is a good idea to carry a paper copy should you lose battery power or are in an area with no cel service.
Frank, you were fishing in Sask where the provincial regulations are completely different from those in Banff National Park. National parks regs actually do prohibit you from continuing to fish once you possess your daily limit. Parks Canada is the only jurisdiction I'm aware of that has this restriction.

National Parks of Canada Fishing Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1120)
11. No person shall
(c) fish in park waters set out in column I of Part II of Schedule III, on any day after having, on that day, caught in those waters and retained a number of fish of the species set out in column II that is

(i) in the case of the park waters set out in items 1 to 25, the aggregate daily catch and possession limit set out in column III, and

(ii) in the case of the park waters set out in item 26, the aggregate possession limit set out in column III.