View Single Post
Old 02-21-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If the people that are going to use the rifle are competent, I would go with 3lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
If they are not, they shouldn’t be near a gun.
If only competent people can shoot your guns, how do you introduce new shooters to firearms? I have my RSO cert, and been shooting for almost 50 years, and have taught lots of new shooters. I enjoy it, and it's good for our community. Competence is learned from proper instruction and experience. But people have to start somewhere.

As an example, I took a friend to the range this weekend, and he *IS* an experienced shooter. I brought my Sig X5 which has an incredible trigger on it, and light. I warned him before he shot, that if he wasn't really aware the trigger was light and had a very short reset, that he could inadvertently have a double tap.

He didn't really believe me, until he did it twice. Then he understood, and really concentrated on that target trigger and shot a fantastic group.

All that to say, people have to start somewhere. Put them on a platform where it is appropriate to their skill and comfort level/experience. A super light trigger isn't the place for a novice. But it isn't fair to say 'if they aren't competent don't let them near!'

Better to accommodate and teach in a safe way and on appropriate equipment, and with proper instruction they will become competent. It is up to the person training and instructing to maintain safety.

This isn't maybe relevant to the OP as the shooters seem to be experienced, but I wanted to put it out there as I think it is important that we accommodate new shooters and give them a safe (relative to their skill and experience) platform to learn on.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-21-2022 at 10:00 PM.