View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I agree, it is the line that causes that however I did notice the trigger freezing open as well. Maybe that’s because of the water coming off the line. I was thinking of trying the Suffix 131 as it’s apparently more hydrophobic than most braids but it’s hard to find and pretty pricey as well.
So far the best braid I've found for ice fishing is the about the least expensive you can buy...Fireline Crystal. It doesn't seem to absorb as much water as most braids including ice braids do. I bought three Quantum Pulse solid carbon casting ice combos last year on sale to try out. I ended up selling all my spinning outfits and ordering 5 more of the Quantums when they went on sale. The drags are ultra smooth and quiet, you don't suffer line memory like you do with spinning reels and there is no more flipping frozen bails by hand. The only part that has frozen so far is the guide on the level wind where the line passes through and it only takes a second to free it when it does. I now have 4-36"M, 1-28"M, 4-28"MH and two 42"H and all are spooled with braid. The 42's are awesome for jigging for Lakers and Pike with big baits. Oh and the reason I have so many is my wife reels right handed and has difficulty working a lefty so I ordered right handed for her and lefties for me.

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 02-22-2022 at 10:42 AM.