View Single Post
Old 03-03-2022, 08:23 AM

I’d say the first week of October is the best with either week on each side of it being a close second.

Hunting pressure is the hardest the last week of September. Literally every trail or road has some form of vehicle on it within an hour of first light. Same for the local rivers. That pushes the animals away from easy to access areas so if you want to work for one it’s doable but be prepared to do some packing once an animal is down.

The problem with the Fort McMurray area is there is limited access with very few roads, millions of square miles of great moose habitat that is inaccessible, huge disposable income with the locals so lots of toys, a big population that grew up hunting moose back home so moose hunting is in their DNA, and a large indigenous population that target moose and get the easy ones close to accessible areas before most are allowed to pull a trigger.

There are definitely moose in the area so once a guy figures out what needs to be done to get one and puts the effort in filling the freezer on a regular basis can be done. But I’d venture most people eat their tag every year they get one and I know several locals that save up their points until they can pull a tag somewhere a long ways south or west of here.