View Single Post
Old 05-03-2022, 09:44 PM

From my experience Dan puts out a more consistent product.

I’ve bought Doziers that were as good as a Crotts, some that were very close and I owned one I had to send back that should have never made it out of the shop. It’s replacement was the first one I know Dan built himself and it was mint. After that, I went straight to him for the rest of my knives. He does bloody good work, look at Chucks knife. From what I can see the grinds are crisp, exact and it’s something anyone would be proud to own.

That’s not to say Doziers aren’t finished to a high level but they could be made by a few people and are less consistently excellent as what I’ve found Dan’s knives to be.

For those who wonder about the dozier I sent back

There was more but I don’t need to show it.

I haven’t owned one built by Bob because the ones he builds now don’t suit my taste. I have no doubt they’re great.

Chuck, for some reason the scales on your knife reminded me of g10 even though you said in the beginning you had ordered micarta. Probably because the micarta I’ve owned didn’t show any grain like yours does. Good looking knives, go get em bloody.

On more thing. Now this is something I’ve read and seen reports on. I’ve personally never verified it so take it for what it’s worth.

I notice you’ve put an edge on that knife already. D2 has large carbides and I’ve read not to take it past 15 deg per side as you run the risk of carbide tear out if there isn’t enough supporting steel matrix around the carbides to hold them in. I can’t tell what angle you finished that on but it looks to be a lot more acute then whatever angle Dan finishes at. If you get a ragged edge on that knife after some use that would be why. It’s also possible your nowhere near 15 dps and I’m just blowing smoke.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 05-03-2022 at 09:55 PM.