View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
I personally think Barrie is a massive part of the Oilers PP success. His offensive ability to create multiple play scenarios while stick handling along the blue line keeps the opposing PK frozen and creates room for Drai and Mcdavid. Barrie can also stick handle his way out of trouble on the Blue line.

Bouchard has a bomb of a shot and they could build a PP system around that but his stick handling and passing is no where near the speed and ability of Barrie yet the way I see it. Would have to be an almost entirely different system which may not be a bad thing either as many teams seem to have the current one figured out, and they have become a lot more successful defending against it.

Not saying they wouldn’t be successful without Barrie but he is a massive part of their PP success with the system they have now.
Very valid point about Barrie on the PP, and their PP system in general. I totally agree that his ability to handle the puck and make precision passes is far more important than his shot from the point. You need a good point shot option - accurate #1, hard being a bonus, to make it a threat and open up the ice in the middle, but I've never been a fan of the "blast if from the blue line and look for a tip or rebound" type PP. (The ol' Klefbomb and hope.) The Oilers have WAY too much skill to run that kind of PP.

From what I've seen of Bouchard, I think he has the ability and hockey IQ to effectively replace Barrie. There will be some growing pains, and maybe some tweaks will be required, but he's an excellent passer, and the Bouch Bomb is a thing, as is his ability to just get pucks through.

I'm not anti-Barrie, not at all. He's very good at what he does, and he's a guy that most teams need at least one of. He was really good down the stretch and in the playoffs paired with Kulak, and I don't mind having him back. He just might be a luxury that they can't afford though.

P.S. - I read an article the other day that Gulutzan and co are already working on strategies/changes to counter the adjustments that teams have made to defend the Oilers PP. Should be interesting...