View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 05:08 PM

Random Thoughts
  • All are listed with 600 Denier fabric, although the 9416i does seem to be a little heavier (lower denier) than the other two. Also, 9416i IQ Fabric doesn’t have quite the "loft" that 850XD StormShield and Monster Lodge ThermalTec have. I suspect the 850XD and Monster Lodge are a touch warmer than the 9416i, but the 9416i may be more durable and the quilting pattern on it makes it the best looking of the three IMO.

• Through-seaming (pinholes) appears to be very good on all three. I’d give the edge to Eskimo over Otter since the Eskimos appear to have better quality stitching on their seams. The pictures in order are the 9416i, Monster Lodge, and 850XD.

• Aside from the fact that the Monster Lodge full door is considerably larger than the one on the 850XD, I’d say the design differences are a wash. Eskimo uses two vertical poles which are the same 11mm diameter poles as the other poles in the hub. Otter uses three poles (including a top pole to get a few more inches of height). They are orange in color which is nice. But they are also much smaller in diameter than the Eskimo poles, and may not prove as durable over time.

• Much has been made of Eskimo using YKK zippers. Otter uses SBS which is #2 in the world and used by The North Face, Adidas, Puma and many others. I don’t see a difference in the zippers on these hubs

• The hose port is a nice feature on the Otters and easier than trying to fish a hose under the apron after the fact