View Single Post
Old 10-20-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
It’s a complete waste of time to give an opinion on this topic but I’ll give mine anyway.

I was a .270 junky growing up because that’s what my old man used. Every deer and elk I saw him or my mom tip over was with a .270 and it’s naturally what I started using when I turned 14. I actually disliked the ‘06 at the time because everyone had one. I shot the .270 until my mid 20’s when I bought a 100 year commemorative 30-06 in Lloydminster back in 2006.
I started playing with the ‘06 and found it would launch a 168 at the same speed I could shoot a 140 grain from my .270 and a 180 from the aught six was going the same speed as a 150 from my .270 (both with a 24” barrel). I also found a .200 grain from my 30-06 was the same speed as a 150 from my .270 with a 22” barrel.

I live in a world where things are either better or worse. I don’t often get bent out of shape about quantifying how much better one thing is over another but when I’m comparing things I compare macro elements against each other as better or worse. Then I do my own mental masturbation to quantify something as a whole VS. the other.

For example

Per charge of powder the ‘06 is typically less
Recoil is the same (I’m not recoil sensitive)
A 168 at 3000 fps is better then a 140 at 3000 fps (my chronograph velocity’s)
Being able to load a wider range of projectiles is better then fewer
Larger bore diameter is better then smaller or more frontal area is better then less…

Larger bore equals a better expansion ratio which equates to more work done with the same amount of pressure. Now the .270 has a 5k psi higher pressure because it doesn’t have any old rifles with weak actions to protect but it has less bore diameter so it gets less work done from its pressure then a .06 does. The .270 also has less case capacity.

The list goes on but from my perspective the short answer is that the ‘06 does everything the .270 does and it does it better. It also can do things the .270 can’t… like shoot 200 grain bullets.

I then started using it on game and it killed everything… go figure. Is it “better” then a .270??? Overall, prob the same but perhaps more versatile and it’s certainly not worse at anything. Both cartridges killed everything I hit with them.

My .270 became a loaner rifle and I’ve shot a ‘06 ever since. In 2018 I loaded some 130 ttsx to see what I thought. Guess what, they give a 350 fps increase on a 130 from my .270 and shot right through everything I hit with them. At 3450 fps they fly flat and gave me the most dramatic bang flops I’ve ever seen. I took a moose through the onside shoulder that year and it broke the onside leg and exited the off side.
We left the country in 2019 so I haven’t used it since which is why I referenced 2018 and can only speak to four kills with that bullet weight in that rifle. All four of the animals I shot that year went down like they were struck by lighting.

I’ve taken game with every weight bullet from 130-220 grains with my 30-06 and it’s been nothing short of consistently perfect. I settled on a kimber Montana with tally rings and a 2.5-8x36 leupold. At just under 6.5lbs all up and consistently putting three bullets into one ragged hole it suits me as the best all rounder.

Not a waste of time in any sense, what you just taught me is that you can shoot heavier rounds more efficiently out of the 30-06 and that the rounds that shoot faster out of the .270 can cause more damage to the protein that you’re trying to harvest from the animal you’ve just taken, you’ve also taught me that both with kill anything you shoot! This makes sense to me, I wasn’t asking a rhetorical question!