View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 10:12 PM

Take a couple friends and hang anchoveys under a half dozen of of these in 5-10' of water. Herrings are bigger, and theoretically will catch bigger fish. Anchoveys are more oily and they stink more which I think counts for more than an inch or so of size, I've always done better with them than Herring. Thaw them out and salt them before hand to keep them on the hook better, position a fairly large treble halfway between the head and the dorsal.

Pro Tip: try and set one tip-up in the most inconvenient spot possible... slightly behind your truck and into the sun so you can barely see it, carefully positioned so you need to climb over a large snow bank and wade through some flood water to get there... that tip-up will for sure catch more fish than all the other lines put together. Repeatedly putting your bait, pliers, and other vital gear at the exact opposite end of your spread for no good reason also seems to help herd more fish over to your lucky tip-up.

DSCF1389 by , on Flickr

DSCF1390 by , on Flickr

DSCF1391 by , on Flickr

DSCF1388 by , on Flickr

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-01-2022 at 10:31 PM.