Thread: Northern Lights
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Damn, just went out and I guess I missed them
No such thing in the events of this magnitude. It was quite a storm that I bet was clearly visible in Calgary and further south. Patience and time is key though.

And this one wasn’t anticipated. I kept taking a random look now and then from the north facing window after seeing this thread. There were some bleak lights, but nothing special, every day type of thing.

Eventually, I came outside, around 12:30AM. Of course, I looked north and same thing, maybe a bit mote than “regular”. I then looked south and jebus… the sky was lit up!

Not the biggest I have seen, but it was quite a show. Spread back north via west and east, met in the middle, etc. I took a good video, but not many pics. It was pretty cool and I haven’t seen one of this magnitude in a while. Hopefully, it will last a couple of days, but the “big” one is likely behind us.

As for the mostly green colour, in my experience, the bigger it is and the closer you are to it, the greener it is. Most of the other colours come out at the edges when it “runs” and when the “hole” opens up in the middle of the sky above. That is why most of the photos you see taken somewhere south have some nice pink, purple, whatever colours and pictures from the north all are pretty much green for the most part.

This was a pretty big solar storm that doesn’t happen often. Glad I was able to catch it. If I didn’t step outside at that moment, I’d likely miss it. I went out a few more times later and caught a little more, but it wasn’t as spectacular. There likely were moments, but one had to be there at the right time.

Cassiopeia above the lights:

One of the things I am going to miss most about this place when we move…