Thread: AB Election
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
The premier has promised 5, 75 bed locked mental health hospitals for Alberta. It will allow parents and police to forcibly institutionalize people against their will, for their own good!
This will put young people in a locked facility with very dangerous people who have severe mental illness.
The next issue which I don't think that they are aware of is, due to previous cuts we no longer train enough Canadians to provide medical and nursing staff
for these places. They will need to staff 5x75= 375 beds, a very large hospital spread out over 5 cities. The only English speaking countries where you maybe can get Doctors and nurses are in India or Africa. Psychiatry is best served by people who grew up in our society.
This is from a right wing party that used to support personal freedom.
Well for me this is a bridge too far.
Might want to do some more research you are missing important details like this would only be for people who are a threat to themselves or others and this would need to be approved by a judge. Smith has publicly stated that candidates for this will be reviewed by a judge first. This is not for some kid that simply has an addiction this is to target violent addicts and those who are a threat to themselves

This is also forced treatment for addiction not prison

As for the drs and nurses we presently have immigrants in this country with medical training from their home country where the certifications are not properly recognized in Canada. Some still work in the medical field but at a lower level than they are trained for. My wife has worked with nurses who were drs in their home country and care aides that were nurses in their home country. I know of others working outside the medical field

Theses people all speak English and already reside in Alberta

Having all the details on policy and situation are very important when making decisions