Thread: Pine Coulee
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2023, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
There is more options for large trout than many realize and I am not going to list them. Most are not stocked either.

There is also a difference in the bow that is a self sustaining fishery with a long history vs a stocked lake that will need on going investments to keep going

I am fully aware there is a demand for stock trout of larger size even though it is not a personal interest and for that reason I fully support the creation and development of these fisheries. Big reason theses fisheries become popular is they are easier to find out about too

There is also many like myself who have little interest in fishing for stockies and old worn out broods.

Regardless pine coulee was a poor choice for the dream of this style of fishery. If the development of this style of fishery is going to be attempted money should be invested in bodies of water better suited for it. Instead Alberta is throwing money into a predator pit or lakes that will continue to winter kill or need aeration adding costs

Pick appropriate waters or improve habitat/forage first
Most??? I doubt that most of the trophy trout lake lakes in Alberta are self sustaining! I will and do fish for stockies if they are allowed to grow to the 20" plus range with aeration and catch and keep limitations. There are too many "anglers" with white pails waiting for the stoking trucks to arrive in the spring.

Last edited by Mr Flyguy; 05-19-2023 at 10:44 PM.