View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
Nobody here has suggested they should be celebrated.
Our Parliament did? Also, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memo...collaborators#

Quote:
But there is no getting around that Ukrainians were being persecuted and starved by Russia leading up to WW2.
By Russia or the dictator in charge? Others suffered as well to various degrees, including Russians. That has nothing to do with what I wrote though.

Quote:
There was despicable antisemtic and fascist elements in Ukraine at that time.
Which are now being portrayed differently, which is the point.

Quote:
Would you care to point to which European country was free from such elements, then or now?
There are many countries whose populations didn't directly participate in genocides during the World War 2. Many did, however, including French, those in the Axis Alliance, Baltics, etc. Again, nothing to do with what I wrote. Here is a short list (some major exclusions though) of countries and their roles: https://www.theholocaustexplained.or...-case-studies/

Quote:
But we are free to make amends with Germany the country that started it all, nobody says a peep about what Italy did in WW2, Sweden.
There are no SS memorials in Germany as far as I am concerned. Neither is there rewriting the history or “heroization” of their forces by the elites and politicians of the country. I wonder if there is a Himmler street in Germany. Don’t believe there are any Mussolini statues in Italy either (not familiar with Italy much though). What about Sweden? https://www.yadvashem.org/odot_pdf/M...20-%206061.PDF

Quote:
Care to do some reading about Lithuania and it's Jewish population at that time?
I did. Long time ago. And many times since. Things that are happening there still are despicable. If we are here to do the “what about” thing though, I can bring forward many other examples.

Quote:
We're cool with following whichever version of history Russia puts forward, but oh those evil Ukrainians....
Why are you stuck on “Russia puts forward” and “Russian narratives”? I don’t get it. Anyone here talking about the Russian narrative?

Quote:
They will have to reconcile the historical facts, recognize the true fight for liberation, and the evil cooperation with Nazi Germany.

And they will, once they are free from the stink hole that is Russia right now.
Again with Russia. The “glorification” and “new history” started post independence, clearly. Aside, perhaps, from some basement talks or outside of the country.

Anyway, whatever. You do you.

I find it amazing nowadays that you say something, basically anything hat doesn’t fit the certain narrative, you are quickly pointed to the Russian propaganda and whatever rubbish. It is similar to here when someone addresses the conservatives in a negative light, they are quickly referred to by some as a lefty and Trudeau supporter. Things aren’t black and white in this world. Most things anyway.

It appears there are a lot of calls for Rota’s resignation, so I tend to think this is going to happen. As it should.