View Single Post
Old 09-28-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
As for Swan Hills vs. Whitecourt, the bigger question is what type of equipment do you have?

Many many years ago we drove in on the Shell Meekwap Gasplant Road which accesses the south side of Goose Tower.

The going in was easy with dry conditions. We had an Argo back then and were invincible, and naive. Truck was a 2 wheel drive, with no tire chains.

We drove in, set up a brand new wall tent, and started hunting a huge area, only to break down with the Argo about 4 kilometres back. Back then Argos had a Tecumseh 16 overhead valve engine, and the valve seats were press fit into an aluminium cylinder head. Valve seat popped out, engine stopped. A TRUELY STUPID DESIGN.

We pulled off the head and drove to Whitecourt for help. Got a bush mechanic fix done at a chainsaw shop and walked back in and fixed the Argo.

Over the next few days the drizzle turned to sleet turned to snow, and we had to pull out.

Jim Hill was frozen like a sheet of glass, we did not make it up and jack knifed into the ditch on a blind hill. LOTS of Oilfield and logging activity made this a near death experience.

Lesson #1: TIRE CHAINS and know how to use them.

Lesson #2: A proper 4 x 4.

Lesson #3: That country has some of the sloppiest gumbo on Earth and the best tires will ball up.

lesson #4: Shovels, tow chains, and rubber gloves and boots. A winch is only marginally helpful as the trees are not on the road bed you are trying to get back onto.

Game is running all over that country. Get a good GPS, get a map as backup, be prepared and go explore.

Drewski

While this is sound advice, I hunt the Swan Hills area allot. I rarely use an ATV, and often use my Corolla rather than my 4x4 to save on fuel. If you know what your looking for terrain-wise, and your not afraid to burn some boot leather, and pick your battles wisely it is entirely possible access good hunting without much equipment.