View Single Post
Old 10-18-2023, 05:03 PM

I agree with you insofar as the silliness of those comments that suggest violence similar to the East coast lobster fishery issue. It reflects poorly on those members who suggest or likened this JNP hunt with the problem out East- we should never condone this and it deserves being called out.

To correct you, the B.C. First Nation took 3 elk, 2 bighorn, and 1 whitetail in the 2017 hunt. So a total of 6 animals. This may seem insignificant and certainly doesn’t present an issue for sustainably managing animal herds in JNP, but you are completely missing some bigger problems:

- Parks Canada opening the door to firearm use in the park
- Closure of areas of the park that limit public use
- FN statements of intent to continue to harvest within parks and to THEMSELVES REGULATE the number and species of allowable harvest (as quoted by Stoney spokesperson Wesley in this press release https://www.cbc.ca/lite/story/1.6999777#
- The failure or intentional misrepresentation of the the full intent of the hunt as a traditional hunt rather than as a combination of ceremonial/subsistence and trophy (at best) or simply a trophy (at worst) hunt. This is CLEARLY and unequivocally evidenced by pictures that I myself have seen following the 2017 hunt. Parks Canada and the FN that participated in 2017 are equally culpable.

There is plenty here to be concerned about…

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
Theres a lot or crying for grown men happening. A bit sad to see someone promoting violence like out east.

I'm not a fan of the closure or the hunt but they took 15 to 20 animals last time they did it. Hardly something to get that worked up about.