View Single Post
Old 10-26-2023, 06:20 AM

Default Troubleshooting Accuracy Issues

Yesterday, I helped a young friend get his rifle ready to hunt.The rifle was a hand me down from his grandfather, and had seen virtually no maintenance, and Cabelas had mounted the Vortex scope, and he wasn't happy with the accuracy. After getting 2-3" groups at 100m, I did some troubleshooting. The barrel was filthy, the action screws were loose, and the base screws were very loose, and the scope was canted. The trigger was 4-5lbs, and the factory loads had very flat primers after firing. After cleaning the barrel and torquing the action and base screws, and removing the scope cant, I discovered that the trigger could not be adjusted lower, so now he is going to pick up a different factory load for the next range session.
I am actually surprised that the rifle did as well as it did given the issues. The young man knew very little about rifle set up and maintenance, but now he has at least a basic understanding of things, and hopefully, he can avoid some of the issues.
That just leaves the questionable factory loads, and the young man is going to contact Browning with pictures of the flat primers and lot numbers, as they are Browning brand factory loads and the rifle is an old A-bolt.