Thread: Annealing brass
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW223 View Post
Very few in sbr are doing any annealing (only one that I know of and I think even he has stopped ) the need for annealing is more a function of chamber reamer and sizing dies that match(or rather do not match ) than anything to do with pressure. Fix that and all the brass issues go away .One of our sbr competitors is currently running a test on annealing , tracking two sets of brass through many firings and agg sizes to see if there is any gain , so far no improvement on aggs, time will tell on the brass life.
Exactly, yet annealing is done by shooters who absolutly tell me it improves their groups. These same shooters are running custom Chambers and matched brass as well.
I know far more F class shooters that anneal that do not.
However Many well know Winning l9ng range shooters say " anneal every time or not at all"
I learned to make 6mm International brass for 300 meter shooting when I was young, and the brass was initially annealed when forming only.
I anneal my Snider brass and the brass for the 40/64 once when forming it ,as well as the 8.15x46R Shuetzen then fogedaboutit
The AO 6mmBR rifle was chambered by fps plus , and one lot of brass has close to 20 firings on it now , with accuracy and case life being stellar , with four lost cases only in 175.
That brass will still shoot Vbulls for me up to 900 meters if I make a good wind call . Same as my .223 Wylde chambered RPA match rifle .

I am a firm believer that annealing will not help my scores at my age - not that They could not inprove, but i need to concentrate on other things first.
However if a person thinks it will help it may just do that Cat