View Single Post
Old 12-28-2023, 05:57 PM

Just an FYI... been driving around looking at different trout ponds. Seems what I've been up to this year since not usually here this early in the year.

Drove by St. Paul this AM since read they have a trout pond. It's a dinky dugout and we found it completely fenced and gates all locked. Seems stocked with browns, bows and tigers. 3000 a year about. I Imagine they over winter, but with that density wonder how big they get. Didn't get to check it out though since the aerator is on and gates locked, like I said.

Found another pond and fished one evening. Always shocking to see the size these 3N bows can get. So much growth potential in these fisheries. So much better than the places that get stocked with perch.

Keep perch outta these ponds please, just ruins it.

For example fished the West Rivers pond in the Fort. It used to have great growth rates. Now since the province purposely stocked perch, the lake is full of pesky little perch. The trout growth rate seems slow compared to prior. We caught a couple smaller trout and dad lost probably a second season trout which was the biggest either, but lost in the hole. The browns do seem to like eating perch as this little brown hit my perch rapala three times before it hooked up.

Photos for comparison... perch, no perch.

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures